Jas posted on the MVP Award blog about a new project that a fellow MVP has made called BingSharp which is a .NET wrapper for the Microsoft Bing APIs. When I looked at it, I thought “fantastic, I can [finally] do a Live/Bing translation plugin to go with the Google one I’ve already made.” And so that’s exactly what I’ve done:
Which gives you:
Übersetzen von all ihren text
The options there should be quite simple to figure out.
Download from Live Gallery.
NB You will need to have .net Framework 3.5 installed (this is due to the Bing wrapper).
Many users are using Windows 7 now, it is a fantastic OS, there’s just always been one problem with using Live Writer on Win7 though, and that’s the inability to put in web images into your blog post using the Insert Picture dialog. In XP (and Vista), the Insert Picture looked like this:
This allowed you to easily insert a web image. But this is no longer the case in Win7. Brandon Turner, one of the devs on Live Writer posted a workaround for this a while back, which is all well and good for those using Internet Explorer, but guess what, not everyone does. So then what? Well, I have the solution.
I’m not sure why I never thought of this sooner, kinda seems like one of those “duh” moments, but I’ve written a quick plugin which looks and feels almost exactly like the familiar “From Web” tab as seen above. Here’s my version:
As a famous merekat would say: “Simples.”
You can download the plugin from my SkyDrive: http://cid-fabdddc5cad93494.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Writer%20Plugins/InsertWebImageForWin7.zip. Just unzip the dll to your plugin folder (x86: c:\program files\windows live\writer\plugins\. x64: c:\program files (x86)\windows live\writer\plugins\).
So, I did. You can download it from Windows Live Gallery. The plugin does have some options as well:
Let me know what your thoughts are by sending me a message on twitter @scottisafool. Sending me a message as a comment on this blog is pretty useless now, comment spam is that bad that I never check comments any more.
Please note: the twitter username should be like the screenshot, ie, without the @ symbol in front of it.
Ok, so I’ve tried desperately to give these away on twitter, but apparently
no-one seems to want to even reply to me to get them, so I’ll put them on here
as a first come first serve basis.
If you are successful in using one of the two codes, please leave a comment
so that I know when they’re both gone.
I’m very pleased to announce the public Release Candidate of WLWBackup. This new version has been completely rewritten from the ground up, after a couple of problems were found with x64 systems and XP SP3 systems.
All the relevant information regarding the program, including usage, can be found on the codeplex site for it. Feedback should also be left on the codeplex site in the relevant sections.
Something that @NicoleSimon requested in a tweet and something that I’m sure many of you will use (if you use twitter that is). This plugin will convert @names into links to their twitter page, so for example @scottisafool will like to http://twitter.com/scottisafool. Just type your blog post as you would normally, the changes are done when you hit publish. There is an automatic option so you don’t have to say yes everytime, but it’s all pretty useful 🙂 I’m sure hardcore blogger+twitter users like @stevecla and @jangles will probably like it 🙂
The plugin can be downloaded from http://cid-fabdddc5cad93494.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Writer%20Plugins/TwitterRenamePlugin.zip Just drop both files into your plugins folder.
PS, sorry about the delay with this post, I’ve been having Writer/Spaces issues for the last couple of weeks. Gave up trying in Writer, so have posted this manually.
Through the feedback I’ve been getting recently and a bit of investigation, I have discovered that my Live Writer Backup tool does not backup settings when it’s run on XP Service Pack 3. I’m not quite sure why as the way I get the settings can be done manually, but whatever. I will be addressing this and I’ll update on here as soon as I have done, but for now, I apologise but you can’t back up on XPSP3.
I’m also aware of some issues with x64 OSs, however, I’m having problems tracking down this problem as I’ve done it on both my Vista x64 and Win7 x64 machine and I can’t get the same issues. I think it has something to do with the version of cablib.dll, but I’ve given the x64 version of that dll to people and it’s not made a difference, so go figure. I’ll try and get to the bottom of that one too though.